The Digital Divide
As a student, think about how often you use the Internet. From referencing a database in a research paper, to turning in assignments on eCompanion, a student constantly relies on Internet access in order to do well in school.
But simple access is not enough. Students have to be media literate, and must be able to critically think, analyze, evaluate and decode media messages, as well as create content. Otherwise the Internet can be frustrating, according to Santa Monica College media studies professor Lauren Movius.
According to a talk given by economist Aleph Molinari, 70 percent of the world is digitally excluded. Here lies the digital divide. The remaining 30 percent is shared primarily between North America and Europe, while the rest of the world seems to be swirling in an uninformed, dark hole.
Those who do not have the access and know-how are destined to be less informed, less inspired and less responsible than their tech-savvy counterparts.
For college students, this gap can be detrimental to education and can be directly correlated to efficiency in schoolwork and career advancements, according to the Advanced Digital Services website, a company that helps people become media literate.
With so many graduates taking on mass debt, online education is becoming a smarter and cheaper choice, as opposed to a community college. Students without ready Internet access will not be able to take part in those opportunities.
Colleges have to start thinking about the digital divide in much more complex ways. They should provide learning experiences for students so that they have a chance to be successful in college.
As "digitally privileged" students at SMC, I hope that we can realize how important it is to help all young adults like ourselves grow alongside and advance with us for a promising intellectual future.