Jaguars walked the plank at Corsair home game

As the scoreboard at the south side of the field signaled the end of the game with an echoing horn, the Corsairs erupted into celebrations and cheers on the sideline. The Santa Monica College football team won their home opener against San Diego based, Southwestern College. The boys stepped out on to the field knowing that they had something to prove. "This is a good football team with very good coaches," coach Gifford explained about Southwestern.

Coming into Friday's bout against Southwestern, SMC had lost their last three games against the Jaguars; twice last year alone. The Corsairs came into the game hungry, looking for a chance of redemption against a team they haven't been able to beat in the last few seasons.

The Corsairs came out ferociously, pouncing to an early 21-0 lead in the first quarter only ten minutes into the game.

Star quarterback Troy Williams hurled two early touchdown passes for Santa Monica, the first to Baxter Kirven and the second one to Hakeem Zeb. Running back Martaveous Holliday scored the third touchdown for the Corsairs and his first of two rushing touchdowns on the day.

After continuing their assault of the visiting Southwestern College, the Corsairs laid off the pedal too much at both the end of the first and second quarters by allowing a touchdown in each quarter. However, the Corsairs racked up quite a lead taking a 35 to 14 lead into halftime.

Coming out of the halftime break, both teams scored a touchdown a piece in the third quarter. Leading 42-21 going into the fourth, the Corsairs saw a victory within their grasps.

After the Corsairs tacked on another six points to their lead, they seemed to need one last nail in the coffin to show that victory was imminent.

As the lead was extended to 48-21, early in the fourth quarter, SMC defensive back, Sharieff Reed, had an amazing interception that caused the entire SMC sideline to erupt into cheers and realize that a victory over Southwestern was inevitable. "This is my first collegiate interception," Reed exclaimed. "I've been waiting for this day, praying for this day."

As the last few seconds ticked off the clock, the atmosphere on the field was electric. The Corsairs had beat Southwestern 48-21 in an unbelievable fashion.

Sophomore running back and last year's leading rusher for the Corsairs, Roger Jones, ran for 107 yards and a touchdown for his first 100 yard rushing game on the season.

As coach Gifford laughed and smiled as he stood by his players and family, he cheerfully spoke about the win. "For these guys and for this team, it's a big part of our road to fulfilling our potential."

After winning against what might be the toughest team they will face this season, the Corsairs have a bye for this next week to allow all of the emotions and celebration to soak in. The Corsairs next take the field of Friday, September 26th at Antelope Valley College.